SMALL FIRE AT CHURCH

Just before services started at 10:30 am Sunday morning, February 4th a smoke smell was detected in the Hennessey First United Methodist Church Family Center. It was initially thought that something was burned at the pancake supper the day before. 

Hennessey Firefighters arrived and focused on a kitchen exhaust fan at the rear of the building with smoke coming out of it. After removing the fan cover a large bird’s nest was found burning inside the fan enclosure. The fire was contained to the fan housing and there was minor smoke inside the building. The only damage was to the actual fan, and the church said this would be replaced.